To create a teaching and learning environment in which all students use information, technology, and communication tools in sophisticated ways to enhance learning.
- Develop a plan that would allow each student access to technology when educationally appropriate.
- Investigate and address issues that may constrain the participation of students who are economically disadvantaged, students with special needs, english language learners, etc.
- Integrate technology learning goals with academic goals across the curriculum.
- Identify staffing levels to provide appropriate technical and instructional support for students and teachers.
- Provide training for teachers to incorporate online interaction into their curricula.
Year 1 2011-2012
- Migrate all staff off of First Class email to ABschools (powered by Google Apps for Education).
- Issue High School students ABschools accounts to provide email and other communication/collaboration tools for learning.
- Complete network assessment to identify elements that are in need of an upgrade or replacement to fulfill service and growth needs.
- Create student-led Technology Help Desk to provide more support for teachers and students using technology and equip students with life skills in technical support, troubleshooting, and listening to others.
- Implement ongoing technology-related professional learning opportunities that build capacity for technical skills and provides teachers with opportunities to practice, share ideas, and discuss technology in meaningful ways.
- Equip all 1st-3rd grade classrooms with SmartBoard technology.
- Measurable Outcomes:
Year 2 2012-2013
- Introduce ABschools accounts to Junior High students
- Implement Storage Area Network (SAN) and cloud data storage to begin consolidation of aging hardware platforms, meet storage demands of our end-users, and reduce hardware and operating costs.
- Implement new help desk ticketing system district-wide to track and manage support metrics, resolve performance issues of the current proprietary system, and provide exceptional customer support.
- Explore equitable and consistent technologies in the classroom that support K-12 technology learning goals (to become Innovative Learning Program).
- Hire K-12 Instructional Technology teacher to support EDTech Academics instructional team and enhance our support model.
- Identify issues with students, teachers, and administration that may need to be addressed through policy measures (update Employee Technology Policy to include social media).
- Continue technology-based professional learning program for teachers aligned with common learning goals for students
Year 3 SY2013-2014
- Introduce ABschools accounts for students in 4th-6th grade.
- Upgrade wireless infrastructure (Phase I) at all schools to meet projected demands.
- Upgraded backbone infrastructure to support 10GB connections between our schools and purchased new 1GB Cisco switches to increase wireless speeds and support our new security camera initiative.
- Explore procedures that ensure equitable access to technology to all students
- Provide hardware to low-income families through a legal distribution of our surplus technology equipment under the premise of state/town “fixed assets” guidelines.
- Assist families in gaining low-cost access to the Internet through Comcast’s Internet Essentials program.
- Pilot more cost-effective devices to meet increased access to student technology needs - ChromeBooks, iPads, Kindles, Android tablets
- Update K-12 educational technology learning goals to support the Massachusetts Technology Literacy and Information Fluency Standards and Benchmarks and communicate to the school community.
- Implement an Innovative Learning Program to support teachers and their students in succeeding to meet specific learning goals with technology.
Year 4 SY2014-2015
- Merge technical services with Blanchard Memorial School to support a successful regionalization plan and take advantage of cost-saving efficiencies.
- Upgrade wireless infrastructure (Phase II) at all schools to meet projected demands
- Install next generation wireless access points.
- Execute server virtualization to further reduce operation and hardware costs and improve disaster recovery
- Ensure a sustainable professional development plan for teachers that can meet K-12 technology learning goals
- Support PARCC assessments at all schools.
Year 5 SY2015-2016
- Upgrade wireless infrastructure (Phase III) at all schools to meet projected demands
- Create an open wireless account for students, guests, and Acton residents to use while on campus.
- Implement plan that allows all students access to technology when it is needed